There are quite a few things that make mosquitoes the most annoying pests in the world.
- When they land in your lemonade or iced tea and ruin your drink.
- That whiny noise they make as they fly past your ear.
- The realization that once you’ve heard them fly by, their bites likely aren’t too far behind, followed by those notorious itchy, red bumps.
- Mosquitoes are the biggest transmitters of deadly diseases, like West Nile virus and Lyme disease, on the planet.
- And, the worst part: All of the above forces you to abandon your outdoor enjoyment and run back inside the house.
As a result, getting rid of mosquitoes in your Central and Southern Maryland yard today is more important than ever.
Let’s review the 3 best ways to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard so you can stop worrying and get back to enjoying your outdoor plans.
3 Ways to Get Rid of Mosquitoes in your Southern and Central Maryland Yard
Your home and landscape is your safe haven, and you’ve spent a lot of time and invested your hard-earned dollars into making it warm and inviting.
Unfortunately, mosquitoes don’t care. Take back your yard by monitoring these specific outdoor areas that help you best get rid of mosquitoes.
1. Limit Standing Water
There are a few key facts you should understand about these nagging pests so you can get a better handle on how to get rid of mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes can go from eggs to bloodthirsty adults in approximately 8 days.
And all mosquito eggs require some form of water to hatch--whether the specific species lays eggs directly on water or in small collections of stagnant water.
That’s why one great way to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard is to control any pools of standing water. Here are a few ways you can do that:
- Keep your gutters and downspouts cleaned out. These areas can be out of sight, out of mind because you’re not always looking at them or thinking about them. But the organic materials in gutters from fallen leaves mixed with standing water make the perfect mosquito breeding grounds.
- Rinse out or drain birdbaths, flowerpots, pet bowls and other things that collect water outdoors at least weekly or every four or five days.
- Monitor hidden places where small amounts of standing water can collect. For instance, if you have a French drain going away from the house to the back of the yard, water can collect in the ridges of that corrugated pipe. Yes, that is enough water to breed mosquitoes! In fact, mosquitoes can lay eggs in something as small as a bottle cap full of water.
2. Thin Out Vegetation
Mosquitoes don’t often hide in lawns or low, open areas.
But they do love dense trees, shrubs, and vegetation. They have parties under decks. They like cool, moist places without a lot of sun or wind. They enjoy humidity.
You can minimize mosquito harborage places by limiting the places where they like to hide. Make sure your trees and shrubs are properly trimmed and tidy. Limit woodpiles and other things near your home that create these ideal conditions and you’ll get rid of mosquitoes.
3. Target Mosquito Adults
Now that you’ve controlled as many of the mosquito breeding grounds on your property as you can, it’s time to target what you can’t control: the mosquitoes that will breed from nearby, like your neighbors’ yards.
The Asian Tiger Mosquito, Common House, and Yellow Fever Mosquito are the three main breeds we deal with in Central and Southern Maryland.
All breeds of mosquitoes only fly a short distance before they must land to rest, so to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard, we recommend mosquito control every 30 days from April through October.
When we spray to get rid of mosquitoes, we use a backpack mister and release a fine mist, targeting the undersides of trees and shrubs, under decks and near other common harborage places.
By controlling and limiting adults, we also limit the production of more eggs and more resulting mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are constantly breeding. That means that the populations we can control this year will mean fewer mosquitoes that erupt come spring the following year.
Ready to Get Rid of Mosquitoes? Choose Natural Green to Help
You want a yard that is free of pesky mosquitoes--their buzz, their bite, and their nasty, disease-carrying presence. That’s what we want, too. Your outdoor barbecue doesn’t need any unwanted visitors.
We want you to take back the enjoyment of your yard. Give us a call and we’ll bring our proven mosquito control experience and give you some insight on how you can limit mosquito-breeding grounds on your property.
Stop battling mosquitoes and start living your outdoor summer life worry-free!
Are mosquitoes keeping you from enjoying your yard? We’d love to learn more. Get started today with a free quote. Together, we’ll prepare a customized plan that leads you to the best way to get rid of mosquitoes for you and your Central and Southern Maryland landscape.
Image source: mosquito